Friday, 27 March 2015

The highs and lows of a new puppy

Hey everyone,

Almost 3 weeks ago I got a gorgeous new puppy. He is a West Highland White Terrier, and his name is Oscar. I've wanted a little Westie for such a long time, and I never thought I'd see the day I finally got one - I honestly feel so lucky and blessed that my parents finally gave in after all my begging and pleading! 




This little bundle of fluff has completely turned my world upside down, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. He's a real character, and he's currently at the age where he's testing us to see what he can and can't get away with. I've managed to teach him a couple of tricks so far ('Sit' and 'Lie Down'), and he's getting so good at walking on the lead when we take him out for walkies! My favourite thing is to watch him from behind and giggle at the way he runs; we've called it "the westie wiggle" because his little tail just goes from side to side and he bobs up and down constantly. 



My other favourite thing which Oscar does is constantly follow me around, stopping whenever I stop and then just plonking himself down and looking up at me with eyes that say "Oi, Mummy, gimme a treat". I don't think he's quite understood that treats are for when we do tricks, like 'sit' and 'lie down'. He seems to think that if he sits or lies down next to me, even when I don't say anything, he's going to get a treat! It probably isn't a habit I should encourage, but he is so darn cute that sometimes its difficult to resist that little face! 



Of course, not everything with a new puppy is fun and laughs. Its like a baby I guess, they're all cute and cuddly, but behind closed doors no one really sees the amount of work needed to take care of that baby, or in my case, puppy. Potty training started off as a complete nightmare, and although he is now mainly going outside to do his business (touch wood), we do still have a couple of tiny incidents. Little Oscar has also developed an obsession with chewing people's fingers, something which he seems to find hilarious and so much fun - me, not so much. Overall though, he's settling in well, at least I hope he is! It must be hard for puppies when they're taken away from their mummy and their siblings, so I do find myself wondering occasionally if he misses them, and if he's happy here. 



No matter what though, this little monkey has given me a reason to smile, over and over again. I'd never had a pet before Oscar, so although I knew that owners love their pets so much and think of them as part of the family, I didn't realise how true that is until he came along. I love him so much, and I already can't imagine my life without him anymore. 

I'd love to hear about your pets and your experiences in the comments below! 

Keep smiling and take care,
Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment